PROVISIONS & DUMPLINGS RECIPE
- PREP TIME: 10min
- COOK TIME: 25min
- COOK LEVEL: Beginner
- SERVINGS: 3
- 1 pound fresh, peeled yucca
- 1-2 sweet potatoes
- 1-2 plantains
- Boiled dumplings (recipe below)
- Large pot
- Cutting board
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup coconut milk
- Boil The Water: bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add sea salt.
- Peel The Provisions: while the water is boiling, peel the yuca and sweet potatoes and cut them into large chunks for boiling.
- Cook The Provisions: add everything except the plantains to the pot of boiling water. Boil for 20-25 minutes, or until provisions are fork tender (add the plantain during the final 5-10min of cooking).
- Make The Dumplings:
- In a saucepan, bring 4 cups of water and 1 teaspoon of salt to a boil
- Combine the flour and salt in a clean bowl. Slowly add the coconut milk, stirring with a spoon.
- After milk is fully absorbed use your hands to knead dough until it is firm and pliable (about 5 min).
- If dough is too sticky, add flour (1 tablespoon at a time).
- If too dry, add water (1 teaspoon at a time).
- Tear dough into 6 even pieces and form into 6 round discs. Add dumplings to boiling water and cook for 10 minutes.
5.Test, Drain & Serve: Test provisions and dumplings for tenderness. Once fork tender, drain the water and serve alongside something savory with lots of sauce or gravy, like, ackee and saltfish. Enjoy!
- Plantains don’t need as much cooking time as the other provisions so don’t add them into the pot all at the same time.
- Pantry items (all purpose flour, coconut milk
- Produce (fresh yucca, sweet potatoes, plantains)
- Whole wheat flour/ cornmeal/ water
- Frozen yucca/ batata/ green bananas/ dark leafy greens